A Proposal: Steve 2.0
So it’s been a pretty interesting week. A bit of a perfect storm in terms of my meta-life, with mini-crashes, new data influx, changing environment and my typical neurotic breakdown. The result being that I have decided that I need a good cleanse/redesign/rebuild of my information otherself.
Trying to attack this a piece at a time has not yielded any good results, so I dusted off my Project Manager cap and am going to attempt to deal with this the old fashioned way. When in doubt, reboot, reformat, reinstall.
Warning. This is super dorky technical junk.
So here is my plan of attack for Steve 2.0
Section 1. Data Management
- Organize all digital data
- Media (created)
- Content (downloaded and purchased)
- Digitize all critical data
Section 2. Network Design
- Terminal configuration
- Clean OS install and inventory of all software/versions
- Local storage for temporary/workspace use only
- Configurations set for usage (primary, household, loaner)
- Backup server setup.
- a. NAS
- b. No direct interaction. Daily backups of system by schedule
- Content server setup
- Raid enabled NAS
- uPnP/DNLA compliant media server
- Cloud data backup.
- Backup of mobile devices
- Backup of critical data and documents
- All backup data must be encrypted
Section 3. Data Security
- Digital Identity
- Online Account Management
- Inventory of all active online accounts
- All critical services have unique high security password
- Non critical services use disposable passwords and identity information
- Information Integrity
- All accounts updated with latest information/avatar
- Unused accounts closed and deleted when possible
- Network Security
- Firewall and Antivirus
- Protection set for home network and mobile devices
- Configured for elected use on home internet and mandatory use while on public internet
- Mobile locate, lock and wipe enabled for all mobile terminals with private information stored
well, that’s my to do list for now. Actually about 1/3 of it is already in place and another 1/3 will only take a few days to set up. The rest gets a bit more complicated. I hope to have the whole architecture set up within a couple of months or so.
I think to some people this might seem a bit extreme. Others are probably scoffing that this hardly guarantees safety on the net today. I think both positions are accurate. this is not by any means foolproof, nor is it something that most people would be able to set up for themselves. I guess I would call this a reasonable solution for someone like me. The fact that I haven’t prepared to this level is actually a bit of an embarrassment, but this will certainly take more work than most people would consider practical. But times are changing and I guess I need to clean up this stuff sooner or later. Something tells me sooner is better.
I’ve left out a lot of details. partially because it’s probably not a good idea to publicly post a blueprint to your digital home. Still I’d love to hear any ideas/comments/criticisms about this plan. If you actually read it and don’t hate me by now, please leave your thoughts in the comments (or just tell me next time you see me). I plan to post more about some aspects of this later on as well.